PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it...but I'm afraid God might ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Crazy Busy Life...


November. Thanksgiving is coming. I have so much to be thankful for, yet I find myself in a place where I can barely get through the day without complaining about the crazy, hectic schedule that our family has created.
Yes, I realize that our life is busy because we CHOOSE to be involved in a variety of activities (sports, clubs, dance, music lessons, volunteer opportunities...the list goes on).
Here's the thing...I am a type A person living in a Type B household and I don't enjoy the chaos. I read blogs written by busy moms who so eloquently describe their days and show beautiful photos of their homes and perfectly tidy lives...really? I try not to be envious, but
when I look around I see dust. Lots of dust (it sort of worked during Halloween, but I really must get it under control now...) The funny thing is, people tell me that I am organized and that my house looks great...they don't SEE my disorganization. They don't see the hidden piles of papers in the laundry room or the baskets of CLEAN laundry in my bedroom that still need to be put away (I knew we built a two story house for a reason...no one is invited upstairs!). And, they definitely don't know how disorganized I FEEL on the inside. I feel frustrated and overwhelmed with our busy schedule and disorganized house. I gave myself a break after bringing Grace home because I felt I deserved a year to adjust. It was sort of my "maternity leave" of sorts. Well, the year has come and gone.
So, I am writing these words no to complain, but to hold myself accountable. There are so many ways that I can improve the craziness that is our life and home. I love organization. I crave organization...now I just need to make it a priority.
So, I began reading a new book.
It is called Throw Out Fifty Things, Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life.


Sounds perfect for me. I begin by cleaning the clutter out of my house and then I move on to the clutter in my mind. There are so many things that I am not taking the time to appreciate because I am too busy yelling "come on, hurry up, let's go!" I absolutely adore the days that we stay home as a family. Days when we don't have activities, sports, work. Those days are few and far between. BUT...I know that we can do better. We can make an effort to say "no" to some of the activities and slow down to enjoy our home and time in it. We have so much to be thankful for- it's time to appreciate the people and things we have been blessed with! Right now, we are just going through the motions of everyday life. I want to work extra hard this holiday season to STOP and appreciate the beauty of the holidays and why we are celebrating and enjoying such an awesome time of the year.

I took a few minutes to read from Jesus Calling the other day. Like so many things in my life right now, I am frustrated that I haven't kept up with my reading or devotions. I picked up the book and read for a couple of minutes. This is what it said:
"...When you realize that your mind has wandered away from Me, don't be alarmed or surprised. You live in a world that has been rigged to distract you. Each time you plow your way through the massive distractions to communicate with Me, you achieve a victory. Rejoice in these tiny triumphs, and they will increasingly light up your days."

That is what I am going to shoot for..."tiny triumphs."

*taking five minutes to read a devotion book
*Cleaning out ONE cabinet in the kitchen (even if 15 are still chaotic)
*finding the matching hats/mittens/ski clothes needed for winter
*straightening the linen closet (learning to fold a fitted sheet...anyone else?)
*dusting the family photos hanging throughout the upstairs hallway (and enjoying the memories of the photos while I dust them)
My list could go on forever. I am just so thankful that I have a family who supports and loves me even when my house is a mess, I am crabby because of chaos and I didn't cook a healthy dinner. And most importantly,
His grace is enough and I know that I am doing a great job in His eyes...tiny triumphs...tiny triumphs...tiny triumphs...(my new mantra).

Still to come...my month in review. I have a few great pictures to share (as well as a couple of funny Grace stories). Hoping to take time to blog again very soon!!!




2 comments:

  1. Deena! I am SO with you. I could have written this myself. I feel like I'm on a treadmill and I can't get off. I'm sure that the holidays will make everything so much better!! LOL! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a kiddo yet, but can't stand it when the hubby and I are too busy. I realized a couple of years ago that I am wired to do a couple of things "well" and not lots of things "halfway". Since then I have worked on de-cluttering my schedule. Sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete