PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
"Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it...but I'm afraid God might ask me the same question."
-Anonymous
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Thursday, October 13, 2011

A GREAT Book (or three!)

A few months back, I was talking with someone about Ethiopia. He explained that he had served in Ethiopia in the Peace Corp a very long time ago. He went on to talk about the Emperor Haile Selassie and how he actually saw him while he was in Ethiopia. I sort of acted like I knew all about what he was describing, but in truth, I was not really aware of all of Ethiopia's amazing history.
When we were in the process of adopting, I tried to learn about Ethiopia, but if I am being honest, I was more interested in learning about adoption agencies, procedures, and following the blogs of people who were in the process of adopting. NOW that I have been to Ethiopia (and miss it so much), I can't get enough information about the beautiful country that I have come to love.
I was buying some books on the Barnes and Noble website about a month ago, and I decided to type "Ethiopia" into the search window. I found a few great books that I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to read more about Ethiopia.

The first book that I believe is a MUST READ is Cutting for Stone. Am I the only one who had not heard about this book? It was a national bestseller. It is fiction. It is SOOOOO GOOD! If you like to read and are looking for a great book check this out! My favorite thing about the book, is that the story takes place in Addis Ababa. The author is so descriptive and does such a great job of writing, that you can feel the story come to life. There were so many parts that had me smiling because I could vividly remember the scenes that he was describing. He is a fabulous writer. The story is about twin brothers who grow up in Ethiopia throughout the 1950's-1980's. I learned so much about the Emperors in Ethiopia, the government, and what life was like in Addis Ababa. But the book is not a boring historical type of book...it has such an intriguing story line. This book is so fun to read after traveling to Ethiopia...I don't think I would appreciate it as much if I hadn't been there first.
I am not done with the book yet, but so far it is a favorite of mine. I read while I wait to pick the kids up from school, dance practice, etc. and am often disappointed when my kids appear because I want to keep reading!!! I can't wait to finish the book and would love to hear from anyone who has read it.
The other two books I discovered are non-fiction. I bought them from B & N's used seller list. The books are actually library bound books. They are reference type of books for young adults/kids to use while doing research (I suspect). I can imagine using these books with my own kids if they ever need to write about a certain country, etc. The books are very basic, but describe what Ethiopia is like (land, culture, government, history, etc.). I have learned so much from them!!!! AND...they were only a couple of bucks each because they were used. They are in great condition- I suspect they were not "checked out" from the library, where they once lived, very often. So, there you have it. Three books that I think are must reads. I feel so much smarter about Ethiopia already!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVED 'Cutting for Stone!' It was a great read! Have you read his other book, 'The Tennis Partner'? Another great read, but not about Ethiopia. Thanks for the other books. I really need to build our library. Right now, Grace is in a "I don't want to talk about Ethiopia" phase, but this too shall pass!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cutting for Stone. I also loved Someone Knows my Name (1700's in Africa, and I suspect the main character came from Southern Ethiopia). I will have to check out the other two:)

    ReplyDelete